BRAVE is working diligently to allow breast reconstruction to all women despite their socioeconomic status.
SAN ANTONIO, TX, June 12, 2023 – BRAVE® Coalition Foundation which stands for Breast Restoration AdVocacy and Education, a San Antonio based non-profit organization dedicated to supporting breast cancer survivors on their restoration journey, is pleased to announce an update to their ongoing patient-focused research collaboration with Northwestern Medicine involving the current state of access to breast reconstruction services in the US across demographic and socioeconomic segments.
As part of this effort, BRAVE and their collaborators would like to announce:
- The publication of an abstract entitled “THE IMPACT OF EDUCATION LEVEL AND INCOME STATUS ON BREAST RECONSTRUCTION UPTAKE”. This abstract contains key results from a patient survey recently fielded in the US and was presented as a podium presentation during the 68th Annual Meeting of the Plastic Surgery Research Council in April, 2023
- The initiation of a new patient access survey in the US, to be fielded in Q2, 2023, that seeks to clarify the patient experience from an online sample of several hundred women across demographic and socioeconomic strata. Specifically, this effort seeks to:
- Understand to what extent women currently have good access to breast reconstruction services after having undergone breast surgery for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Characterize the gaps in care that may exist, including the availability of plastic surgeons and the role of breast surgeons.
- Evaluate the role of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and social media in breast reconstruction trends and outcomes.
According to Michael Schlamp, PhD, of BRAVE, “this ongoing collaboration continues to shed light on the current gaps that prevent equitable access to breast reconstruction services in the US, including inequality across race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status.”
About BRAVE® Coalition Foundation
BRAVE® Coalition Foundation was founded in 2012 by Allen Gabriel MD and Christine Grogan DHA to help educate breast cancer survivors on their breast reconstruction options, advocate and influence the legislation and the insurance industry, unite patients with resources, and restore the quality of life every breast cancer survivor deserves. BRAVE supports breast cancer survivors in reshaping their recovery regardless of insurance, socio-economic status, education level, or race.
To learn more about or donate to the BRAVE Coalition Foundation, call 917.617.0141 or visit www.bravecoalition.org, like BRAVE Coalition Foundation on Facebook, @BRAVE Coalition Foundation on LinkedIn, and @BraveCoalition on Twitter.